Skip to main content

What is your preferred smartphone screen size

Screen envy. We all have it. Or do we? See, that’s the thing, I’m just not so sure. One thing I am sure about is that our phone screens have gotten progressively bigger and bigger over the last few years. The funny thing is, we as a society have taken that ball and run with it, like we just don’t care. But I always thought we did care?
Some time ago, when phones were in the sub-5” range, we used to have a term called “phablet” which described an almost absurdly big phone. The definition varied from person to person. I always considered a phone with a screen 5.5” or bigger to be a phablet. The Galaxy Note fell into that category. The Lumia 1520 certainly did. There are others as well. I was safely ensconced in the 4.5” area at the time with my Lumia 920. What did I know?

Leon’s getting laaaaaaaarrrger

But slowly, phones started topping the 5” mark. I’m not talking about phablets here, I’m talking about normal flagship phones – the Galaxy S4 (barely) and the HTC One (M7) are both good examples of what I mean. But recently, phones have been growing again. Consider both of OnePlus’s offerings and the Moto X 2015 for example. Both of these phones are in “phablet” territory, or at least they are in phablet territory as I had defined it years ago. Is it time for a re-definition?
Personally, I now prefer the 5-inch to 5.2-inch range these days. I think I’ve set my upper limit at 5.5 inches. But it got me to wondering, where exactly do we go from here?

Where does it end?

It seems we have to hit an upper limit at some point. I’m trying not to imagine a future in which we are all carrying about Blu Studio 7.0’s everywhere. Our pockets only have so much room after all. But I’ve always said, “the market dictates what it wants” and the market seems to want big phones. I’m just not sure where we stop getting bigger.
So I wondered what our readers thought. Go ahead and vote down below and let’s see what the market says about our current predicament. Do we all want larger phones? What is your preferred screen size?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peel Turns Your Apple Watch Into A Universal Remote Control

Does it make sense to use your Apple Watch as a remote control for your media devices? Smart remote maker  Peel  thinks so, having just launched a universal remote control application for the Apple Watch which lets you operate over 400,000 models of home electronics, including not only televisions, but also DVD players, and even audio and streaming devices, like the Roku. The Apple Watch app is actually an extension of the company’s  existing smart remote app for iPhone . And while in a few cases the new Watch app will allow you to control your devices via Wi-Fi, for the most part, it will require the  Pronto  hardware just like the iPhone version does. The Pronto 360-degree IR blaster is what turns the iPhone, and now the Apple Watch, into a smart universal remote control. A $49.99 piece of hardware about the size of a salt shaker, Pronto sits in your entertainment center to provide the IR capabilities required to operate your TV and other electroni...

Airbnb will open its Cuba listings to users outside the United States

Airbnb  will now let travelers from outside the U.S. to book properties in Cuba after receiving authorization from the U.S. government,  reports the Associated Press . Previously, only Americans were allowed to reserve the site’s  Cuban listings . They will open to international users on April 2. Airbnb launched its  Cuban operations in April 2014 , four months after the Obama administration revealed that it will begin to  restore diplomatic relations with the Communist country . The historic policy change means that  travel and trade sanctions will be lifted , which is expected to boost tourism to Cuba dramatically because Americans no longer need licenses to visit. In fact, President Obama is  currently on an official visit to Cuba , the first president since Calvin Coolidge to do so. According to the AP, Cuba is currently Airbnb’s fastest-growing market, with about 4,000 homes added since it opened listings. Other travel businesses...

Barnes & Noble is killing itself

I’ve been chronicling the slow demise of B&N for years now, watching the company bleed out, drop by drop, until it has become a shell of its former value. B&N was a cultural center in places without cultural centers. It was a stopover on rainy days in New York, Chicago, and Cleveland and it was a place you could go to get your kids’ first books. That’s mostly over now. On Monday the company laid off 1,800 people. This offered a cost savings of $40 million. But that’s particularly interesting. That means each of those people made an average of $22,000 or so per year and minimum wage workers – hourly folks who are usually hit hardest during post-holiday downturns – would be making $15,000. In fact, what B&N did was fire all full time employees at 781 stores. From a former employee: On Monday morning, every single Barnes & Noble location told their full-time employees to pack up and leave. The eliminated positions were as follows: the head cashiers (those are the pe...

Best Web Design Company in Pondicherry

#Technology    has two faces. We all feel it, but sometimes can’t find words to describe it.  #Ebooks    are the best example to show the 0-1 nature of emotions the  #technology  evokes. #itwhere    provide a  #Best     #solutions    to  #Growyourbusiness    feel free to drop a  #Mail    info@itwheretech.co.in www.itwheretech.co.in